Tuesday, May 18, 2010
SKIM
I enjoyed this book, although I was surprised at how easy a read it was. I read it in about an hour. However, I expected it to be much different than it was. On the front cover it mentions that it won some sort of children's book award. But after reading the book, I would in no way consider it to be for children. The characters say "fuck" waaaay too many times for it to be appropriate for kids. I would say it's more "young adult" than "children". I could see kids in high school reading this, MAYBE even middle school. But when I think children's books, I think of things like Clifford, or Dr. Seuss. Not Skim. However, for the purposes of our class, I enjoyed it. It was a nice change from standard books.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I also enjoyed the book and was glad to have an easy read since I've been reading non stop all quarter. Wow it won a children's award? I don't think the book was really approiate for children I mean Skim did kiss her teacher and it had alot about suicide.
ReplyDeleteThis story isn't for children. Children are impressionable and maybe would want to imitate the characters especially if they felt out of place in school. There was smoking, cursing, and kissing a teacher. These things are not appropriate for children or even young adults.
ReplyDelete